Jan 17, 2007

Daffy Yum - Day 16 Rhine-stoned

Ah one of my favorite quotes, Robbins' criticism of the men of Richmond as "men who knew more about the carburetor than they knew about the clitoris"; a quote that inspired me to apply myself to learning as much as I could about one of these subjects (and the inner workings of cars did not interest me) and taught me the true educational meaning of the old advertising slogan, "Ask someone who owns one."

Here's a nice comment from Michael a couple of days ago:

#14..this page,which speaks to me about growing 'naturally' without yielding to excess pressures to grow up reminded me of....."Neoteny" is "remaining young", and it may be ironic that it is so little known, because human evolution has been dominated by it. Humans have evolved to their relatively high state by retaining the immature characteristics of their ancestors. Humans are the most advanced of mammals - although a case could be made for the dolphins - because they seldom grow up. Behavioral traits such as curiosity about the world, flexibility of response, and playfulness are common to practically all young mammals but are usually rapidly lost with the onset of maturity in all but humans. Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature. SLWW.....and isn't there another line where he mentions the dolphins 'vestigial thumb'!? michael